Subject: Description of files contained in nktools.zip
From: [email-masked] (Naoto Kimura (ACM))
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 06:09:57 pdt

Here are some Turbo Pascal units that I have developed for use by
students here at California State University at Northridge.  They
have been updated to work with version 6.0 of Turbo Pascal.

* Both the assembly source and object code have been included in the
  archive.

* These units can be compiled under 4.0, 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 of Turbo
  Pascal.

StrDev.PAS   -- A unit that implements a text file device driver that
                sends output to a string (it's something along the lines
                of the sprintf() function found in many C libraries).
                (*----------------------------------------------------*
                |                 ****  NEW  *****                    |
                |   Not a really new idea, but threw it into this     |
                |   release of the archive since I've found it to be  |
                |   really useful in many of my own programs.         |
                *----------------------------------------------------*)

Logger.PAS   -- A unit that allows logging of I/O through the standard
                input and output files.  All input and output through
                standard input and output are send directly to screen
                (or file if redirected) AND to a file or printer.  All
                the user of the unit has to do is to put the unit in the
                "uses" clause.  When the program is run, a prompt will
                appear asking if the user wants to send the output to a
                file or printer also.  Included in the archive is an
                example program (TEST.PAS) that uses this particular
		unit.

ErrMsg.PAS   -- This unit prints out a text error message (paraphrased
                from manual) when the program aborts.  This is useful
                whenever you don't have the manual around.  A boolean
                variable VerboseMsg can be set to indicate whether or
                not you want to have the full explanation (default) or a
                short one-line error message.  This unit uses the
                EndWait unit if using Turbo Pascal versions later than
                4.0.  Included in the archive is an example program
                (TEST.PAS) that uses this unit (you'll notice that this
                program is used to give an example of how to use the
                Logger and EndWait units too).

EndWait.PAS  -- This unit puts a "Press any key to continue..." prompt
                when a program exits.  This was primarily developed
                because of some complaints generated by students when
                version 5.0 of the Turbo Pascal IDE went directly back
                to the editor screen when a user program exited.

KbdSvc.PAS   -- This unit contains mostly declarations for character
                constants for use with the Crt unit's ReadKey function.
                This way it is not necessary to put "magic constants"
                into the program when matching the keycode.  It also has
                a procedure for reading the extended keycode, so it is
                not necessary to repeat the code for reading them
                everywhere you need them.

MathUtil.PAS --	This unit contains some general-purpose math functions
                that were handy to have around.

StrUtil.PAS  -- This unit contains some general-purpose string
                functions.

Dos4to5.PAS  -- This unit makes available some of the procedures and
                functions available in the Dos unit in version 5.0 but
                not in 4.0.

Epson.PAS    -- This unit allows one to plot on the Epson.  Supports the
                72 dpi x 72 dpi  and the   144 dpi x 72 dpi graphic
                modes.   Demo program EsponTst.PAS has been included in
                this archive.

Unit dependencies
------------------------------------------
MathUtil	System
StrUtil		System, MathUtil
StrDev		System
Dos4to5		System, Dos,StrUtil
EndWait		System, Dos
Hex		System
ErrMsg		System (,EndWait)
KbdSvc		System, Dos,Crt
Logger		System, Dos
Epson		System

                //-n-\\			 Naoto Kimura
        _____---=======---_____		 ([email-masked])
    ====____\   /.. ..\   /____====
  //         ---\__O__/---         \\	Enterprise... Surrender or we'll
  \_\                             /_/	send back your *&^$% tribbles!!